Do Ride - Welcome

To all those who Do Ride - Welcome to my Blog! Many of my students asked me to design a blog so that they could follow me on my travels and adventures. Enjoy!

Monday, February 28, 2011

Ballarat Tournament

So, this past weekend was the Ballarat Tournament.  I got to play Dash and I was very excited about it because she seemed awesome when I practiced her on Thursday evening.  When I got to the grounds, we found our horse pens and got the ponies settled in.  Then, Jesse and his grandfather, John, helped me set up my tent - which had an awning and many secret storage places.  It was pretty sweet.  Next, we went to check the draw (team list and schedule - haven't worked out if the "draw" is both of those, but that is what people call it over here).  I must admit, I was dissappointed to be in D grade, again.  I have played more times in D grade here on this trip than I have EVER played in D grade my entire life.  Good news, I'm the captain and a #3.  I was totally bummed, but tried to be excited, because I love polocrosse and I am getting to play more polocrosse here than I would be at home, regardless of the grade.   So, off I went to spend some money on some Milner equipment.  I bought a new racket - it is little and flimsy and light weight, just like my old one.  Chances are good it will break in a few months.  Right now, I will keep it safe as a back up.  I also bought a new Milner whip and realized that Milner equipment (atleast from this dealer) is $10 more expensive over here than it is in the states... weird. 

All weekend, I played with my new monster racket and it was great. The little flimsy one just sat by the side line waiting to be used if needed.  Dash went AMAZING!  We played #3 the entire time, except one chukka where I played the #1.  Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I think only 5 goals were scored on us all weekend.  2 in the first game, and then 1 in every game after that.  We made it to the final, against our own club team (Go Moorooduc!) and won.  I was so proud of Dash and how well she played and sooo excited to play her next weekend.  Unfortunately, she had a HUGE hematoma on her belly after the final.  It is too far down to be spurs, almost on the bottom of her barrel.  I thought maybe I put the girth too tight.  Somebody said she burst a blood vessel and it was probably caused by a hard hit.  None-the-less, I will not be playing her this upcoming weekend.  Bummer.  I should get to play on Dick, but Pete says I should play the #2.  That's fine, except I don't know if I'll be able to go up a grade as a #2 and I am just crossing my fingers I am not in D grade again. 

Watched the Australian team play - they are pretty good. 

Just looked outside and the rain has stopped - have to go ride some ponies!  Will write more soon.

Dori

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're having a blast! Sometime you should post a quick'n'dirty polocrosse explanation for the uninformed among us -- I'm curious about the different grade levels and positions, and what it means to be assigned to different ones, and how they decide all that per game (probably based on the horse/rider combo? is there some kind of rating system they keep throughout the season, like a bowling handicap?).

    ReplyDelete