Do Ride - Welcome

To all those who Do Ride - Welcome to my Blog! Many of my students asked me to design a blog so that they could follow me on my travels and adventures. Enjoy!

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Moorooduc Tournament and Big Expensive Toys

Right... It is taking me way too long to post on here.  I'm going to try to make a habbit of posting more often.  Maybe then these won't be so long and you all will be kept up to date with the current happenings in my life. 

So, Moorooduc's tournament was last weekend.  It went very well.  I rode a horse named Ozzie, who is Jesse's second horse.  Pete said she is a Junior's horse, but she would be fine.  It definitely took both my spurs and whip to keep her going, but she played very well as the #2 and #3.  Together, Ozzie and I won Best Horse and Rider Combination.  Jesse won Best Junior in our grade!  So now for the slight negative of the weekend.  I was in D grade... I know, shocking.  I was a bit upset at first, to be honest, but it worked out just fine.  Plus, some of the players in that division were old experienced players on young horses and others were quite dirty and rough players.  One guy grabbed my rein hand and started tugging on it.  The rest of the people were pretty clean (for the most part).  My team was very nice and all the members on it played extremely hard.  We won all of our games, until the final.  The worst is that we beat that team when we played them on Saturday.  Well, shoot - maybe next time. 

Riding here this week has been an adventure.  Each day, I discover new, exciting, and exotic animals.  Parrots (or birds that look like parrots) fly all around.  Yesterday, I heard this horrendous squawking noise that sounded like it was coming from a pterodactyl (yes I just googled that to see how to spell it haha).  When I looked up, it was a huge white bird that from a distance also looked like a parrot.  Yesterday, I also discovered Wallabies!  I thought for certain that I had discovered a rare black baby kangaroo... I was wrong.  It was a wallaby!  Today, I saw another one.  I WISH WISH WISH WISH (wish x 10000) I had my camera because I saw a Wallaby just a few feet from me and it was so cute with a little gray face - I think he must have been pretty old.  And just before I discovered Ole Wally, I saw one, two, three Kangaroos!  After Ole Wally and the three amigos, I spotted a red fox!  What a morning...

I can't remember now how many days ago it was, but I was taking the horses for a nice walk in the bush and saw some men up there gathered around a black square in the side of the hill.  Turns out, it is a helipad for remote controlled helicopters.  I freaked out and told the guys that my husband flies and loves RC helicopters.  After a bit, I stupidly said, yeah to me, they are just big expensive toys... they guy quickly, and smartly, replied while pointing at the horse I was riding - those big expensive toys.

That got me thinking, he is so right, horses are big expensive toys, but they are toys that I just couldn't live without.  And it sure would be hard to play polocrosse (or compete in any equestrian event without them). 

To answer some questions, yes, Renee, I still have all my teeth.  I tried playing with a face mask at practice and it went fine.  I even went to the field with it on for my first game.  After missing a pick up in warm up, I was sure the mask was to blame and opted to play without it.  Oh, I almost left out updates on my racket and pictures...

Let's do the good news first - Pictures are up on Picasa.  The link is: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/EkZkf2iyz3SyzHfL07qioA?feat=directlink

More good news - My racket righted itself after being soaked in water - HOORAY.  I played 4 1/2 great games with that racket this weekend... and then (this is where the bad news begins) it snapped in half over some old guy's arm.  great - another one bites the dust.  Finished the game with one of my teammate's rackets and will be visiting the Milner dealer this up coming weekend.  Oh!  I also leant my Milner whip to some random girl who broke it.  I was smart enough to tell her before she played that if she broke  it, she would have to replace it.  She has already given me the money for it, but I must find one now...  The hunt is on.

Good news, sort of... Found a new racket - it is huge, longer, thicker, tougher than any Milner I have ever owned.  Probably good considering I've gone through three since October (yeah, don't total the costs, it is tear jerking and probably way more expensive than my husband's chicken coops that I give him trouble about).  Any way - will be giving this one a try this weekend.  Has anyone ever played with the new Milner nets?  They are kind of like plastic?  Did he do that so that they wouldn't change when they get wet?  If so, I've decided this racket is indestructible. 

The Butt Kicker - ugh.  Kate, you are wrong, I do not love this hill.  Today, I ate dinner before running and Pete said I shouldn't run on a full stomach (nice... I think I'll eat before running every day and that should solve the problem).  Solution - walking the Butt Kicker that his little sister Ankle Twister (yes, I don't run that one because I'm sure with all the divets and turns, I would be back on crutches).  Any way, while walking today and humming along to Chicken Fried (gosh I love that song), I found ELEVEN (yes, 11) four and five leaf clovers!  I put some in water to feed to the horses tomorrow morning.  Trina thinks we should play the lottery this weekend haha

Very exciting news, I get to watch the Australian World Cup Team play this weekend.  I'll be videoing.

This weekend I will be playing on a horse named Dash.  Don't know the team or grade yet - we shall see tomorrow.  The tournament will be at Ballarat.

Any way, I'm sure I've left some important stuff out, but that is all I can remember for now.  My phone number is +61 0406650507 if anyone wants to call.  I'm also on skype: dori.mae.johnson  Please check the time before calling so that you don't wake me.  Oh, for skype, it might appear that I'm on all the time because I leave my computer on... I might not actually be present. 

Thanks to everybody for the emails and updates on how things are going at home (Minnesota, Maryland, and Texas!  Where is home, really!??)  I'd love to hear more.  If you have any special questions, ask and I'll try to get answers back in a timely manner. 

Guess that's it.  Toodles.

Dori

No comments:

Post a Comment